It’s got to that time in January where we’ve all given up on healthy eating and our hands are slowwwwwly creeping back into the crisp packet right? Though this year I’ve not made any radical January changes; more a commitment to pre December eating where Bailey’s on cornflakes wasn’t the norm. Here’s my top 10 “healthy but doesn’t taste like diet food” recipes to get you through the rest of Jan.
1) The Mexican Bowl – whip up in mere minutes and use odds & ends from around the house. What’s not to love?
2) Roasted Butternut Squash & Puy Lentil Salad – a firm favourite in our house, especially the dressing which we use on EVERYTHING now.
3) Chicken Satay Bowl – Filling & rich, definitely doesn’t feel like diet food. We often don’t have rice and load up on more veg instead.
4) Chicken Caesar Salad – you could very, very nearly mistake this dressing for a full fat version. Super easy to make from cupboard ingredients, and it’s not that much different if you miss out the anchovies.
5) My Favourite Curry – a really versatile recipe. I’ve made it with chicken, veg, lamb so use whatever you’ve got! Also try making it with cauliflower rice if you’re cutting down on the carbs.
6) Melanzane alla Parmigiana – add a swig of red wine, balsamic, tsp sugar and Worcestershire sauce when you’re making the tomato sauce. Oh, and if you can make it all the night before and then just cook it on the day it tastes way better. In fact that applies to pretty much all tomato sauces including Bolognese & ragu.
7) Nasi Goreng – a new one to my ‘portfolio’ but takes minutes to prepare and not much longer to cook. I use microwave packet brown rice for ultimate laziness and just use a few squirts of spray oil.
8) Squash Daal – Super tasty as the butternut squash adds a sweetness, the recipe makes an absolute glut load so great for freezing when you need a panic dinner.
9) Dandan Noodles – Another good recipe for chucking in any odds and ends of veg you’ve got lying around. I try and let the sauce/stock stew for a good hour so one to make the night before if you’re in a hurry.
10) Chicken & Squash Cacciatore – the perfect antidote for cold, miserable evenings and just because it’s January doesn’t mean you have to forego a big chunk of bread – you deserve it.